Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hair Stories

A few days ago, I launched a new social network called Hair Stories. Inspired by the many women I have come across online documenting their personal hair journeys, I decided to create a space where we could all (writers, poets, artists, people) artistically connect.

Everybody has a hair story. What's yours?


I've been natural for more than ten years. What does that mean? It means that I no longer chemically process or straighten my hair. Instead, I've chosen to rock my naturally thick, dark, kinky mane and I love it. It wasn't an easy transition, though. It was like blindly traveling into the unknown. I was very young when my mother first relaxed my hair. It was a relief then; I was so tenderheaded. My head would hurt just to have her look at it. But, since she was in charge of the combing during that time, I had no experience with styling it myself. Change, no matter how good it is, can also be frightening. Fear, however, didn't get the best of me-- it rarely does.



Visit hair stories

"Our hair is our crowning glory, or so we've been told. We talk about it, write about it, cry about it, India Arie even made a song about it. So, now there's a space for us to express ourselves- together."

Need a good book to accompany you on your journey? These are a few of my favorites.


Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment

Readers & Writers Blogs

Writer's Resources

Literary Resources

Books Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Powered By Blogger
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Moon Lit Press © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO